This blog belongs to Patricia Atkinson and was created as part of the Education Media Design and Technology program at Full Sail University.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Week 3 Publishing/Leadership project part 2 of 2: Which Publication?


I did research online to see where the best place to publish would be, and I ended up at my professional organization’s website, the National Art Education Association. They have a database of all the Arts-related journals that are calling for submissions. I found 3 excellent forums for the publication of my paper, which will be about how technology affects the engagement level of high school students. These 3 are accepting entries of the size and content of manuscript I will be creating. I have made some reflections below about each of the 3 choices.

Choice #1: Canadian Review of Art Education

This journal is published by the Canadian Society for Education. They are taking entries from all disciplines and fields of study, from researchers, educators, and students. The pluses of this for me include increased exposure, and flexible submission content. The negatives include very specific format requirements, decreased exposure in the US, and not as much emphasis on the Arts.

Choice #2: International Journal of Education Through Art

This journal has a focus on questioning and evaluating the current state of Art education across a wide range of educational contexts. The pluses of this venue are that the content is more specifically applicable to my subject matter, especially since they specifically mention “emerging technologies” in the potential topic list. The only negative I can find is that they do not list the specifications for submission without registering first, so I will have to look into it further to find out. Right now it seems very open, and they accept supporting images.

Choice #3: The Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy

This journal seems very innovative and includes a special section in each issue called ABER, or Arts Based Educational Research. The focus of this section is visuals of Arts-based research, including short essays that describe what happened. I like how the focus here is on the visuals, I think that is very unique and yet makes perfect sense when talking about Art-based educational research. The pluses of this publication include the opportunity to speak through images, and the opportunity to be included with Fine Arts as a whole (drama, music, literature, etc.), which I think would reach a broader audience. The negatives include the additional work of obtaining parental permission to submit images of student artwork, short biographies of each artist, and just researching which images to use to best exemplify the research.

Image from MorgueFile.com at


No comments:

Post a Comment